Is it that time of the year already? In 2015 I changed my music listening habits: I embraced Spotify and almost stopped searching for new music like I used to. Instead of leaning on reviews from online publications I discovered new music by exploring similar artists to the ones I began enjoying. Discover weekly also helped me find some gems, but it keeps getting weirder week after week and I had to start curating it myself.
Still, I feel like the list of albums that I enjoyed the most does not translate the feeling above. Because I listened to so many different things it was hard to come up with a list from the top of my head. But three albums stood out:
- Tame Impala’s Currents is a masterpiece and they became one of my favourite bands.
- Neon Indian’sVega intl. Night School was a nice surprise! I think I haven’t enjoyed a dance album this much since “In Ghost Colors” by Cut Copy.
- Jamie xx’s debut – I enjoyed the xx’s first album but stopped listening due to the overexposure and enjoyed the fact that Jamie was able to distance himself from the band without sounding too alien. I risk saying that his album is even better than his bands previous efforts.
Here’s my complete list:
- Tame Impala – Currents
- Neon Indian – Vega intl. Night School
- Jamie xx – In Colour
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Multi-Love
- Denai Moore – Elsewhere
- Mikal Cronin – MCIII
- Björk – Vulnicura
- Panda Bear – meets Grim Reaper
- Health – Death Magic
- Moon Duo – Shadow Of The Sun
- Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- Petite Noir — The King Of Anxiety
- Purity Ring — Another Eternity
- Rangleklods – Straightjacket
- 20syl – Motifs II
- Sevdaliza – The Suspended Kid
- Vök – Circles
- Nao – February 15
To finish here’s a playlist with my favorite tracks from 2015: